Saturday, April 19, 2014

Teenagers versus the World

Okay I know the title sounds lame. But that is not the point. The thing that made me write this is in last Saturday, when I was on the commuter line back home from Bogor, I met this bunch of teenagers wearing some overly stylish wardrobe. Well that's okay for me so far, except they were smoking and using some cuss words and acting like a bunch of juvenile. If I took closer looked, I was sure they were no more than 17 years old.

Well, I myself am a teenager for once, and I know how it felt when people look like you're an alien just because you want to try to express yourself. And I hate society for it, I thought 'well this is me, what is so wrong with hang out with my friends in large number and act the way I do now?'. 

And now, I 'm being part with the rest of society that think they are, those teenagers are a big NO. how they acted and communicated just bug me to the core, I judged them as not polite and not educated. which isn't true I'm sure. then, came the thought of their parents, ' didn't their parents teach them how to behave? didn't their parents forbid them to go out this late of night?'

On the train, I came to the realization that the irony is in me. I transformed from those who hate society for passing judgment so fast and become those people who put judgment whatever they like just because I'm on the upper hand (read : older).

And yeah I can't dodge that transformation, which I'm sure happened to all people who grow up. your expectations, needs and priority changes along the way. You no longer see pouting or crying for the toy as cute or tolerable. and that is maybe why I no longer see their act as an act of self expression, as the necessary way to become better, rather I see it in disgust, with suspicious eyes. 

The question is, how do we transform this feeling into something positive. I'm not saying the agreeing or letting the way they are now with smoke and cuss words are okay, it is ignorance. And passing judgment and stereotype is worse, one thing I know for sure from my experience, they need a supportive society. Not the one who only pampers them, or ignores them or condemn them as Juvenal.

And being supportive isn't easy, AT ALL. I guess I still have a lot in my hand to chew as an adult. 

Here some photos of them, that I took in secret. 




No comments:

Post a Comment